Join a crew with 5 other middle school students and an instructor and learn to sail a 23’ keelboat. Students will learn to row a dinghy, set and strike sail, steer, navigate, use a marine radio, operate a small outboard, watch the weather, tie knots, and follow basic safety all while sailing all over Casco Bay for a week. Our primary middle school instructional boat, the Pearson Ensign, is a strong, fiberglass boat that is still actively raced (and still being built) more than 30 years after her introduction. Ensigns are probably the most comfortable sailboat ever built. They have high backrests and a large, deep cockpit and plenty of space for students to learn and work together while staying separated and outdoors.
Kids will learn to steer a sailboat, set, reef and strike sail, tie knots, learn terminology, navigate, rules of the road, lead with confidence, work as part of a team, use a small outboard and row a dinghy.
- 1-year membership in US Sailing
- U.S. Sailing Small Boat Sailor Certification
- Full access to U.S. Sailing Skill-Up App to help students and instructors track
individual student accomplishment.
- National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) safety
- Sailing Ships Maine T-shirt, rope, journal
Program offered in partnership with Sailing Ships Maine, US Sailing & Schooner Harvey Gamage.