RSU5 Community Programs
Register Now

Adult Education

RSU5 Community Programs Adult Education

Have a question about our programs or want our office to contact you? To get started please COMPLETE THIS FORM, and we will reach out to you!

Learning Lab – Freeport
Our Learning Lab is open to all adults in need of academic instruction and guidance. Teachers provide individualized instruction in the areas of:
  • HiSET prep (HiSET FAQs)
  • Math and ELA instruction to prepare you for college-level coursework
  • Other academic test prep (CASAS, ASVAB, Accuplacer and more)
Take advantage of these classes to get started on your future today.  All students must complete an intake process before getting started. Call Peter Wagner at (207) 865-6171 ext 323 or email him at to register. Registration is FREE!

Maine College & Career Access
Maine College & Career Access is a comprehensive program of study leading to enrollment in a post secondary institution, including workforce training programs. MCCA includes career planning, academic preparation, financial aid assistance, college planning, and Accuplacer testing. In partnership with Maine’s community colleges and the university system, MCCA programs offer high-quality, cost-effective, and accessible pathways to post-secondary education for adults. For more info, contact Peter Wagner the Community Programs Director, at 865-6171 x323 or

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
We’re proud to offer small classes for Adult English Language Learners, and we work closely with immigrants and refugees from around the world. Our ESOL program (English for Speakers of Other Languages) helps people improve their English reading, writing, grammar, digital literacy, and life skills. We also help students prepare for employment and continuing education.
New students must have an intake to ensure proper placement in the correct level.  Appointments are offered throughout the year. Please contact Peter Wagner, the Community Programs Director, at 865-6171 x323 or

RSU 5’s Maine College & Career Access Post High School Transition (“PoHST”) Program
The goal of this program is to help you bridge the time between high school graduation and beginning college.  Our Maine College and Career Access staff will help you with tasks such as enrolling in classes, starting your student profile on the college’s website, completing financial aid paperwork, submitting your health & vaccine records, student orientation meetings, obtaining school IDs, parking permits, and more.  Our goal is for you to begin college feeling ready and prepared.  Some students may be eligible to earn an early college credit by enrolling in and completing our College Success Course. For more info, contact Peter Wagner the Community Programs Director, at 865-6171 x323 or

How do I get started with any of the programs above?

Contact the adult education coordinator to schedule an intake. Adult Education intakes typically take a few hours.We will complete our required intake paperwork, as well as some CASAS testing so we can assess your current reading and math levels.  You will need a government issued ID to complete your registration. Intake paperwork consists of the following:
  • Maine Department of Education Intake Form
  • Social Security Form
  • FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
  • Academic Release Form
  • Technology Form (if borrowing a device)
Why do we need all this information?
All of our adult education programs are provided free of charge to our students.  Our funding comes from a combination of state and federal subsidy, local tax dollars, and grants.  Therefore, we track and measure our student progress.  All student records and important identifying information is kept confidential in RSU5’s central office.  Your releases allow the state’s systems to data match (without actually identifying you) so that we can measure how well programs are doing.  A signed academic release will allow us to send in any student records to colleges and universities, potential employers, and more. Otherwise, anytime you need proof of your work with our office, you will have to physically come in to get it.  If you have any questions or concerns, you can discuss this with the adult education coordinator during your intake.